Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Not the America I know!



Not a question as such, but a bit of question-begging in the following (recurring) rhetorical statement: "That's not the America I know."

This phrase is on its way to becoming the new "...or the terrorists have won." It's just as useful, too, in the snappy-answers-to-stupid-questions department (a department which retails a lot of goods).

Started, obviously, with the little torture scandal that could (the thumbs-up sends the message: "My name is Pfc. Lynndie England, and I approved this torture").

We saw stage two with Republican congressional hopeful Jack Ryan (Ill.); Ryan’s friends in the party bailed on him when his interest in gentlemen’s clubs became public, saying: “that’s not the Illinois I know” (perhaps with a trace of regret…).

In stage three, the meme goes live:
“Seven bucks to park here? That’s not the Bethesda I know!”
“A movie that isn’t cheaply manipulative? That’s not the Tom Hanks I know!”
& one day soon: “That’s not the chapati I know!”

Strange that a phrase that disclaims knowledge begins with the Republican Party….

6 Comments:

Blogger naptime said...

you call that japanese drama? that's not the noe i know!

June 30, 2004 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Nick O'Rette said...

Gordian? Hee.

July 1, 2004 at 1:34 AM  
Blogger Nick O'Rette said...

Ah, as in, "that's not the knot I know."

July 2, 2004 at 2:16 AM  
Blogger Nick O'Rette said...

Explaining that makes me feel dirty.

July 2, 2004 at 2:16 AM  
Blogger Nick O'Rette said...

Bad dirty.

July 2, 2004 at 2:17 AM  
Blogger Parsley said...

Even money says there's not a soul in America saying, "That's not the Pfc. Lynndie England I know."

Her mother and sister have protested, but that old woman's crazy.

July 8, 2004 at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home