Friday, July 02, 2004

Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

So here's the exchange between Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) and VP Richard "Dick" Cheney (R-Hothead). Trust me, the "dick" is not a nickname, it's an honorific.

The exchange went something like this:


Cheney (R-HH): I don't appreciate all this about Halliburton.

[Leahy has been calling for investigation into no-bid military contracts for Halliburton, for which Cheney's office was "in-the-loop," and by which company Cheney is still receiving deferred compensation]

Leahy (D-VT): I don't appreciate you calling me a bad Catholic.
[The administration has accused members of Congress opposing the appointment of far-right Judge William Pryor of being anti-Catholics]

Cheney (R-HH): Go fuck yourself, Leahy!


Now, I'd react just like Cheney ("You people are bad Catholics! Oh yeah, you're all Protestants. Except Parsley, who's a fish-worshipper, or some such.") But you'd think the weight of office - about 255, judging from the chins - would make some difference.

Cheney explained himself later: "I expressed myself rather forcefully. I felt better after I did it."

Sources:
Wonkette
MSNBC
CNN.com
Foxnews

note:
There's an interesting & brief note on the grammar of the above title (Joseph Welch, accusing Joe McCarthy of having gone too far)

4 Comments:

Blogger naptime said...

the most entertaining tidbit to come about from this exchange was from cheney's press office, post mortem. somebody over there should get a medal.


Kevin Kellems, a spokesman for the vice president, said, "That doesn't sound like the kind of language that the vice president would use, but I can confirm that there was a frank exchange of views."

July 4, 2004 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger Monseigneur said...

Geez. I go away for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose. I can't say I'm surprised to hear something like this happened. Cheney is known for being a little hot-headed. Incidentally, I heard today that Cheney's doctor has lost his license due to a 50,000 dollar/year pain killer addiction. Maybe he was trying to unravel the mysteries of Kubla Kahn.

July 6, 2004 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Nick O'Rette said...

"Dick's Frank Exchange" - I think I saw this title at my local video store, when I wandered behind a beaded curtain in my search for the bathroom.

July 6, 2004 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger Nick O'Rette said...

Cheney's doc blew through $50,000 in drugs, Limbaugh scored 4,350 tabs in six weeks.

Hey, Lunchtime, you're the lawyer: if state troopers stopped me in my red, '67 camaro with an original 327 engine doing 110 through the hills around Boone, North Carolina (my conditional, my fantasy), and I had $50,000 in cocaine, or 4,350 units of methamphetamine, say, would the cops send me off to rehab like these two, or would they beat me to death with my own bling?

July 6, 2004 at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home